Oil Painting Kit
For oil painting, you need more than just
oil paint and oil paint brushes. Unlike watercolor painting,
oil painting needs more complicated mediums to oil paint with.
We have compiled a list of materials you need to start oil
To start oil painting, the basic materials you need
- Oil paint colors
- Oil paint brushes
- A color palette
- A color palette knife with a 7.5cm (3 inch)
- Turpentine or Low Odor Oil Painting Thinners
- A bottle of Alkyd
- A double dipper for your palette to hold each of
- A mahlstick for steading your brush
- An old jam jar for turpentine substitute to wash out
- Canvas boards or oil painting paper
- A painting rag for wiping and cleaning your brushes and
- A plastic eraser and an HB pencil
To cut down the cost your can buy the
minimum number of brushes, find your own receptacles to hold
the mediums, use a piece of formica or vanished plywood as a
palette and a kitchen chair as an easel.
For outdoor work you can use a pochade box.
which takes a board up to 25x30 cm (10x12 in). You can design
your own carrying box to suit your preferences. An example of a
carry box measures 8.5x7x3.5 inches and contains a palette with
a single dipper for Low Odor Thinners and a tube of Gel
Medium for driers, five brushes, a pencil, seven tubes of
paint, and tow painting boards (6x8 inches). It also holds
painting rag and up to four pieces of thin hardboard will
fit into the lid.